Pages

Amber Alert

New Year Resolutions Or Not

Resolutions Vs. Goals

Resolution

  • A written motion adopted by a deliberative body.
  • The ability to distinguish peaks in a mass spectrum.
  • The replacement of one longum with two brevia.
  • A rule of inference used for automated theorem proving.

New Year's Resolution
A New Year's resolution is a commitment that an individual makes to a project or the reforming of a habit, often a lifestyle change that is generally interpreted as advantageous. The name comes from the fact that these commitments normally go into effect on New Year's Day.

Goal
  • A goal or objective is a projected state of affairs that a person or a system plans or intends to achieve.
  • A personal or organizational desired end.
  • Point in some sort of assumed development.
  • Many people endeavor to reach goals within a finite time by setting deadlines.
After reading the definitions of resolutions and goals, I prefer the word goal.  I can achieve a goal; not sure (using the definition above) that I can achieve a resolution.


1.  Do you make New Year's resolutions?
Not usually.  I know for myself I will most likely fail in trying to complete the resolutions. 

I like using the word goal . . . so if I fail to complete my goal it doesn't seem to be as hard of a failure.  The word goal -- to me -- is more positive, more attainable, more focused.

I do not set goals every year.  The main reason fo not setting new goals each year has to do with attitude.  If I am not in the "right" mind-set, I cannot try or attain a particular goal .

This year my list of goals is long.  With my renewed faith in God and myself and the support of wonderful friends, I know I can achieve these goals.
A.  Stop drinking Mt. Dew. -- Already accomplised!!!
B.  Stop social smoking.
C.  Pray every day.
D.  Spend more time reading the Bible and doing Bible study.
E.  Walk.
F.  Be a better parent.
G.  Maintain contact with family.
H.  Minimize the amount of pills needed daily.
I.  Enjoy life!

2.  How many resolutions do you make?
See above for answer.

3.  Do you keep them (the resolutions)?
Depends on what it is.

4.  If you break them, how long do they usually last?
Varies.

5.  What are your New Year's resolutions are for 2010?
See answer for #1.

6.  Do you think you will keep your resolutions for 2010?
I sure hope so because my life and my children's lives will be better and more enriched if I do keep my goals.

I've added this post (because it's full of questions) to Aloha Friday.  Head on over to Kailani's blog and check out all the fun questions and answers.

4 cherished words:

XmasDolly said...

Those are a lot of New Year resolutions, and I wish you luck with each one. I made two of them this year, but I guess they kind of go together. To get healthier and to lose weight. I just have to follow through with this. I'm following you. Have a wonderful weekend and I think your doggies are so cute.

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

I do not make new year's resolutions.

Twincerely,Olga said...

great list I only have a few and so far doing pretty good!!!stop by

kailani said...

No resolutions for me. The one time I did make a resolution I forgot what it was by the end of February.

 
Bookmark and Share