Pages

Amber Alert

Happy 73rd Birthday, Dad!

My dad passed away twelve years ago (this past January) and I still sincerely and truly miss him.

The past few days have been a time of reflection for me, personally.
On lessons learned...
On love received... and love given...
On happy memories...
On a few regrets...
On my Dad...
On my family...
On myself...

Being reflective allows us to take a good look at ourselves and our lives. Are we where we want to be at this point in life? Am I where I want to be? Where I thought I would be? If not, when did I get off track and how do I get back on?

Actually, I know the answer. I got off track when I stopped making time to commune with God every day. We used to have such a sweet time together -- in His Word, in prayer, in worship. We were connected for a time. I could hear His voice, leading me in the way I should go. The Holy Spirit would prompt and I would move. I had impressions -- visions, some might say - and I could feel the Lord's presence quite frequently.

I miss that! A LOT!

I let *SELF* get in the way and put my own wants ahead of my needs. I need to spend time every day with Jesus, but instead the first thing I do each morning (after using the bathroom, getting dressed, taking care of children, getting children to school, and taking care of the dog) is get on the computer. I need to make time to just SIT quietly and meditate on GOD - but instead, I turn on the radio or TV and fill my head with noise.

With the anniversary of Dad's passing, I am reminded that time moves too swiftly to waste it. Procrastination feels like a soft, warm quilt on a cold, wintry day -- it's so cozy to remain in my little cocoon and forcing myself out of it into the frigid air of life is the last thing I want to do. Procrastination may seem soft and comforting, but in reality it is a great tool of the enemy and one that I've allowed to steal away my time, my energy, my creativity, and my relationship with Christ.

It's time for me to throw off that blanket and step into the cold. It's time to stop looking at the "frigid air" as something to avoid and, instead, embrace it as something invigorating and empowering. It's time to breathe deep and allow it to energize me into living my life the way I was called to live it, rather than remain huddled in a cozy cocoon of stagnation.

I realize this post sounds rather melancholy, but I needed a little time to reflect.

2 cherished words:

Kristen said...

That was beautiful. Just reminds me to treasure my time with my parents while they are healthy. Thanks for that perspective.

Unknown said...

You are welcome. Thanks for the compliment.

 
Bookmark and Share